I expect the LC practice is simply a pragmatic one applicable only in cases where a change of preferred term entails a large amount of LC bibliographic file maintenance. If so, then the existence of two preferred terms for any given concept will always be temporary, persisting only until the related BFM is completed. (At least that's how I read the LC announcement.)
Ed

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Adam L Schiff
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 5:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [PCCLIST] LCDGT Announcement

While it is exciting to finally know that the moratorium on LCDGT will be lifted soon, and backlogged proposals will be processed and decided upon, I have some serious qualms about the model for former terms that LC is using, and I don't believe that it is in accordance with ANSI/NISO Z39.19-2005 (R2010).  The standard is at https://groups.niso.org/apps/group_public/download.php/12591/z39-19-2005r2010.pdf<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__groups.niso.org_apps_group-5Fpublic_download.php_12591_z39-2D19-2D2005r2010.pdf&d=DwMFAw&c=qwHaVVscXk_NBWd7DQFk0g&r=vZdb4enrYPbal23bD_gETA&m=A1C-PoZNQmXU6xq64Y3fKkmuVdWDGNSqtZ_ZtiE5ryM&s=gfsoMbMW9x9wu0CGJNRHOhqYOWRg3ojnxU0oat3XDEw&e=>.

Section 6.2.3 of ANSI/NISO says:

A History Note is used to track the development of terms over time. These notes provide important guidance for researchers who are interested in a topic covering many decades. It is especially important to indicate when and how a term has changed over time. If appropriate, the history note may also include the date discontinued, the term that succeeded the term, and/or the term that preceded it. History Notes are frequently marked by the abbreviation HN.

[cid:[log in to unmask]]
Assuming from this example that Venetian windows was once an authorized term, the example shows it as a Used For term.  This is further substantiated by 11.3.1.2:

11.3.1.2 Modification of Existing Terms

Indexers and searchers should be able to propose modifications to existing terms or their relationships, explaining the rationale and supplying supporting documentation for the proposed changes. Like candidate term nominations, such proposals may be communicated electronically or via printed forms. Such proposed changes should be considered by the controlled vocabulary editor and board, using the criteria for term selection in sections 6 and 7. If a term is modified, the date of the change should be recorded in the history note (see section 6.2.3), and a USE reference should be made from the old form to the new form. If the controlled vocabulary is used in an indexing system, the date on which an old term was last assigned should be included in the history note. If the relationships are modified, a record of the old ones should be maintained in the history note as well.

(I have highlighted the most important sentence above).

Based on my reading of the ANSI/NISO standard, I don't think these existing LCDGT terms follow it:

[cid:[log in to unmask]]
[cid:[log in to unmask]]
Having two separate authorized terms for the same concept does seem to me a violation of ANSI/NISO.  My reading of the standard would result in Oceanians being a UF on Pacific Islanders, and there could also be history note in that record stating when the change from earlier form Oceanians was made.

I also don't think it serves users in a faceted retrieval system to be presented with multiple boxes to select for the same concept:

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Each group should be distinct.  If a user sees a box for an earlier form and misses another box further down the list for a later form, they will miss retrieving items that they would have wanted to see.

Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries
(206) 543-8409