From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Paul Jackson
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 5:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Significance to the immigrant communities of foreign language sound recordings made in the United States prior to World War II

Hi Eric.
     There may be some areas where this information could be provided, but likely not what you are asking: "success" or "failure" can be a very subjective and limited issue. Billboard Magazine goes back that far, and may present some figures, but I don't know if they covered language recordings or not, nor have I looked.
https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Billboard-Magazine.htm
     You might be able to research and find some of the items here:
https://blogs.illinois.edu/view/25/116243
     In my book of the 70s, /Sound Search/, I noted several places which dealt with languages. You might be able to search those out, and find information.
     Statistical Abstracts didn't start until 1943, but there could be information there: https://blogs.illinois.edu/view/25/116243
     There also might be someone here who can help:
     https://www.dliflc.edu/administration/registrar/

Best of luck,
Paul T.