Hi all,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction here, as I have
seem to gone into a spiral and something that *had *seemed clear to me does
not anymore: the application of "digitized other analog" in
<physicalDescription><digitalOrigin>: "A resource was created by digitizing
an intermediate form of the original resource (but not microform) such as
photocopy, transparency, slide, 2nd generation analog tapes, etc."

Previously, I had considered most of our digitized items from analog
materials "reformatted digital" and thought of "digitized other analog" as
copies of copies (save microform). The "slides" and "transparency" examples
are throwing me off. We have a large photography collection. Some of our
digital objects are made from slides, some from prints. Prints had
universally been given "reformatted digital" but, I thought
a second longer. All photography is a copy of the original unless you are
talking about the original negative.

Should all digitized photos be "digitized other analog"? If not, why do
slides get the designation and not prints? The "intermediate form" term may
have something to do with it (it's intended to be projected) but then that
doesn't make sense with the other example of photocopies in the definition.

This email is specific to photos, but there are also "analogs" in AV
materials. Since we're an archive it might be hard in some cases to know if
something is a second generation tape.

I'm trying to write clear guidelines for catalogers based on MODS
definitions, with use cases and examples, and in the process I confused
myself! Help get me out of this hole. :)

Thank you,
Olivia
--
Olivia Solis, MSIS