Hi all,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction here, as I have seem to gone into a spiral and something that had seemed clear to me does not anymore: the application of "digitized other analog" in <physicalDescription><digitalOrigin>: "A resource was created by digitizing an intermediate form of the original resource (but not microform) such as photocopy, transparency, slide, 2nd generation analog tapes, etc."

Previously, I had considered most of our digitized items from analog materials "reformatted digital" and thought of "digitized other analog" as copies of copies (save microform). The "slides" and "transparency" examples are throwing me off. We have a large photography collection. Some of our digital objects are made from slides, some from prints. Prints had universally been given "reformatted digital" but, I thought a second longer. All photography is a copy of the original unless you are talking about the original negative.

Should all digitized photos be "digitized other analog"? If not, why do slides get the designation and not prints? The "intermediate form" term may have something to do with it (it's intended to be projected) but then that doesn't make sense with the other example of photocopies in the definition.

This email is specific to photos, but there are also "analogs" in AV materials. Since we're an archive it might be hard in some cases to know if something is a second generation tape.

I'm trying to write clear guidelines for catalogers based on MODS definitions, with use cases and examples, and in the process I confused myself! Help get me out of this hole. :)

Thank you,
Olivia
--
Olivia Solis, MSIS