NLS Operations Alert

No. 21-71

DATE           :   October 14, 2021

TO                :   Network Libraries

FROM          :   Alice O’Reilly, Chief, Collections Division

SUBJECT    :   Collections Conference and Working Groups

We want to thank everyone for a successful Collections Conference, which was held virtually on Tuesday, October 5. The day was full of engaging discussions, covering a broad spectrum of topics relating to collection development, cataloging, book production, and reader advisory activities. There were approximately 140 attendees, representing NLS and all regions of the partnering network of libraries.

During the conference, we introduced the idea of forming working groups around topics of shared interest. We are excited for these collaborative groups, which present the opportunity to guide Collections Division projects and policies with direct input from our amazing colleagues across the network of partnering libraries. The planned working groups and associated contact are listed below:

·       Subject Headings/Categories; contact Anita Kazmierczak, [log in to unmask]

·       Circulation Statistics (sharing of circulation statistics for improved information gathering and contextualization of data); contact Collection Development Section, [log in to unmask]

·       Series (names, headings, catalog updates); contact Anita Kazmierczak, [log in to unmask]

·       Diversity, equity, and inclusion work at NLS and network libraries; contact Dominick Spinelli, [log in to unmask]