Interesting question!  I see that a footnote in Edward Lillie Pierce's *Memoir
and Letters of Charles Sumner *mentions that "two clergymen of the city" of
Washington DC, including "Dr. Sunderland" -- presumably Byron -- had
"condemned the assault" on Sumner.  From context, it looks as though this
condemnation came right after a judge had let off the attacker, Preston
Brooks, with a $300 fine that was perceived as a slap on the wrist.

https://books.google.com/books?id=PVJ1YzA8UuYC&pg=PA488

So Byron Sunderland seems to have given a semi-well-known oration back in
1856 objecting to the sentencing, which I suppose would have been an
"occurrence after the assault."  Maybe he re-performed part of it into the
graphophone for historical interest, or as a highlight of his past
accomplishments as an orator?

 - Patrick