All—a number of you have asked about the Library of Congress State Literacy Awards this year. The Lit Awards Advisory Board decided to discontinue the program for two major reasons:

--Lack of interest. The same centers applied each year and the number of applications never exceeded the number of awards available.

--The amount of the awards exceeded the costs of processing them.

I have had discussions about this and I am planning on having a meeting in January on how the Affiliate CFBs can participate in the Literacy Awards in other ways. I will have more info by then.

Please know that I appreciate the interest demonstrated by the centers that did apply.

Guy

Guy Lamolinara

Head, Center for the Book

Professional Learning and Outreach Initiatives

Library of Congress