It is with the heaviest of hearts that I inform you of the untimely passing of Katie Abel, daughter of beloved, Georgia author Mary Kay Andrews. Katie was an ever-present figure at her mother's events, bringing joy and laughter to each one. Although being fully vaccinated, Katie contracted COVID in September. She fought it bravely, but suffered liver failure, and passed while awaiting a transplant. Katie was only 39, and leaves behind a husband and two children.

Katie also worked for the City of Decatur planning many of the events and festivities that so many of us here in Decatur attended and enjoyed. I worked with her planning several, and volunteered for many as well. Katie and I split the grand prize basket at the last in-person Decatur Arts Alliance event in February 2020. Somehow she got the good wine, and I went home with some gluten-free, seeds...Katie was a charmer!

This was not the only direct loss for us here at the GCB. In July, we lost Dot Moye, who was the creator and driving force behind our annual Book As Art Exhibition. The Exhibit moved to the library in 2015, and I had the pleasure of curating 6 shows, plus the massive retrospective show at Delta's E Concourse at Hartfield-Jackson Airport.

Please keep Mary Kay and her family, and Katie's husband and children, in your thoughts.

Not to be a downer on a Friday, but as we go into this weekend of "love," maybe we all can just be a little kinder to each other, give someone a call, and hug someone's neck.

Joe Davich,
Executive Director
Georgia Center for the Book
Decatur Library, 215 Sycamore St.