All-

I hope you have been thinking of projects that you have always wanted to do (but for a lack of funding).

Here is an update on the availability of grants from the John Cole and Nancy Gwinn Fund, which we have discussed in our monthly meetings. We are making good progress with finalizing the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO), which is federal government legalese for how the government makes grant money available.

Once this NOFO is posted, I will make you aware of it and provide a link. I learned yesterday that there is a preliminary step you must take before you can apply for federal government grants. I do not know if you have used similar processes for other funds you may have applied for, but my hope is that this process will not become an impediment to making an application.

Here is the relevant language:

System for Award Management (SAM.gov) Registration
Successful applicants must be registered on SAM.gov before the grant is awarded. Information on how to register on SAM.gov can be    found on the SAM.gov website<https://sam.gov/content/entity-registration>. This process can take several weeks, so if an Organization is not already registered, it should start that process immediately. Registration is free and is required for any Organization that wants to receive any kind of federal grant or contract.

SAM.gov Registration
Applicants must obtain a Unique Entity ID number by registering with SAM.gov. The Library may not make a Federal award to an applicant that has not completed the SAM.gov registration. If an applicant selected for funding has not completed their SAM.gov registration by the time the program is ready to make an award, the Library may determine that the applicant is not qualified to receive an award. The Library can use that determination as a basis for making an award to another applicant.

There is no cost to register with SAM.gov. There are third-party vendors who will charge a fee in exchange for registering entities with SAM.gov; please be aware you can register and request help for free. Award recipients must continue to maintain an active SAM.gov registration with current information through the life of their Federal award(s). Applicants must enter their Unique Entity ID number issued by SAM.gov in the "Organizational DUNS" field on the SF-424, Application for Federal Assistance form.

How to register with the System for Award Management (SAM)
You will see a pop-up box when you go to SAM.gov. It does not apply to you, unless you are already registered on SAM. Click the "do not show again" box and proceed.

Select "Get Started" on the section shown below on the landing page on the SAM.gov website to register. You will have to register as an Entity. An Entity on SAM.gov is defined as prime contractors, organizations or individuals applying for assistance awards. SAM.gov will issue you a Unique Entity Identification (UEI) number.

More information on the registration process can be found on the "Help" tab on SAM.gov.

We will be accepting proposals on a rolling basis as follows with the following probable deadlines (NOTE: This is not yet in stone):

-        06/15/2022

-        08/15/2022

-        11/15/2022

-        2/15/2023
Thus, if you don't think you will be applying for the June deadline, you may register with SAM at a later time.

We look forward to being able to fund CFB projects you have not been able to achieve, due to a lack of funds. The grants will be up to $5,000.

Please send me your questions directly at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and not to the entire group. I plan on compiling the questions and answers into an FAQ, so that all may benefit. Please use NOFO Questions in the subject line, so that I do not overlook your query.

Thanks,
Guy

Guy Lamolinara
Head, Center for the Book
Professional Learning and Outreach Initiatives
Library of Congress

[cid:[log in to unmask]]