I'm afraid that what is meant by "controlled" here eludes me. Certainly
institutions can create their own LOD links for items/ subjects that are
local in nature, the link pointing to their own institution's established
authority record when one does not exist in a broader sphere.
And Iconclass is a bit of a different animal; as the name suggests it is a
classification system, not a controlled vocab. But that classification
system is formally published and the links created by a central authority.

The presumed problem here, I suppose, would be errors in conflating items
that are not the same, or other types of false equivalency. This is what I
am finding in my first forays into Wikidata, and as Sherman knows,
attempting to understand (without much success so far). The Wikidata model
of many contributors and editors is unlike the other 2 examples cited.
I would have no qualms about linking to an institutional record or
Iconclass.

Certainly institutions are loading many of their records to Wikidata and
creating links, which is fine, but it may be problematic unless they have
dilligent editors checking Wikidata to see how other editors have created
additional links to those records. This example illustrates the problem
(which I think was done by an editor working from Wikimedia Commons, not
YCBA):
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q110140833
The satiric cartoon is not correctly related to the original painting by
Fuseli, and it is also linked to a print in the Met, also not related as
"after" the original painting.
Am I missing the point here? Please correct me.
Thanks
Susan