In high school, Cory,  I took out a loan from The Essex Savings Bank to buy
an Akai that has built in speakers etc. similar to the one Duval uses in
Apocalypse Now, but I believe it only had an amp in it for the tape or mics
going to the enclosed speakers .  Anyway, I just dropped off the Harmon
Kardon Citation 11 at Dave's TV in Millerton NY.  I had some extra
capacitors and transistors around that I added in hope that it is not the
transformer.
Gary,
You are correct, I bought one of those little Zoom mics with an SD card in
it to record a gramophone horn and I get this terrible swirly noise from
the light groove sound so I'm going back to using a magnetic cartridge
while I mull over the possibilities of setting up mics around the
gramophone and just use magnetic tape.
I've got this idea I can capture some of the dynamics of the gramophone
that the stylus can't but so far it is all in my head and in the grooves.
 On youtube I keep finding some incredible transcriptions using mics.
Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving.
GW