I had the same questions (plus some others) after trying to encode a
sample finding aid.

1.  With regard to the "level" attribute for <c>, I only set the attribute
at the series and sub-series level.  Below that, our entries can be any of
a number of levels, depending on how much we used a hierarchical
formatting to generalize over a range of folders and to eliminate
repetition.

We would do:

     Meetings
       Washington, D.C.
       San Diego
       Philadelphia

Rather than:

     Meetings: Washington, D.C.
     Meetings: San Diego
     Meetings: Philadelphia

   When this starts going down a few more levels, these general headings (not
   really sub-series and not really files) can be impossible to tag
   consistently and without using multiple levels of subs
   (sub-sub-sub-sub-series).

   I opted to 1) use the numbered components <c01>, <c02>, etc., and 2) did
   not set the attribute beyond a "real" sub-series.

   2. I had the same question about whether the <unitdate> is part of or
   separate from the <unittitle> and opted for the former, based in part on
   the fact that the dates are considered part of the title field 245 in the
   MARC-AMC format.  My reading is the same as Alvin's - either is legal as
   the DTD is written, so it's a matter of convention.

Rich Szary