Here are some thoughts from Anne Mitchell and Helena Zinkham, Prints and
Photographs Div. at LC, after looking at Rostovzeff finding aid
(WordPerfect and SGML tagged) and reading Janice's comments.

EADHEADER: Had thought that most (all?) the data about the finding aid
would go in <eadheader>; <frontmatter> <titlepage> would be used when want
to 'replicate' an existing titlepage layout; data in <titlepage> would
repeat data in the <eadheader>.  By dispersing some info into <eadheader>
and some info into <titlpage>, lose the effectiveness of the <eadheader>
to contain and display similar information across all finding aids?

Since many finding aids (at least those in our division) don't seem to
have titlepages, should we encourage people to gather up the
<eadheader>-type info from where-ever it appears throughout a finding
aid, but just park it in the <eadheader>?

Also wondered: did you open <titlepage> in order to use the <do> element for
the Duke seal?  Is there a home for <do> element in the <eadheader>, if
open <notestmt> and then <note> which can contain paragraph-level elements
such as <do>?  (Well, ... hard way to get to a <do>.)

Core puzzle remains: If info in the eadheader will display online for
finding aid users, to what extent do we need the titlepage, IF don't mind
having the titlepage-type info display in whatever order a system's
style-sheet provides?  To have a concrete point of comparison, we
tried for the NAACP finding aid, which happens to have a titlepage, just
using the <eadheader>, and see how we like the data displayed in the
sequence of <eadheader> elements.

We also tried the <sponsor> tag to name staff who had processed the
collection.    Agree that the <date> should be date-of-first writing of
the finding aid.   How's this: when converting/coding an existing finding
let people know when, where, who coded?

It was interesting seeing a fuller interpretation of use of <tspec>s.  We
were not aware of how the <colspec>s could be bundled into a <spanspec>
that could be used to display the hierarchy ... but then are we trying to
replicate a printed page here?  We tried this out with the NAACP finding
aid and ended up with 6 different <spanspec>s.  On the other hand we
found the author/editor macro feature today, so perhaps there's hope.

We were wondering what the purpose was for opening a <did> for each <c>?
More direct access to this information?  Display in electronic table of
contents? (We had thought headers would provide this.)

Thanks for braving our questions.  It was really helpful to see a fully
tagged finding aid.

Anne and Helena