There's an inconsistency in the name given to the new subfield h in
the linking fields.

In USMARC in the linking entry general pages, and on the 760 page,
its called simply: Physical description.
However, in the pages for the other linking fields including the new
786, its called: Physical description of source.

Is there a significance to this variation that I'm missing?

I went back to proposal 94-17A which defined 786, with new subfields
h, m, and n which were then extended to the other linking fields, and
there subfield h is called just: Physical description.

Pat

Pat Riva
Romance Languages Cataloguer
Central Technical Services        [log in to unmask]
McGill University                 (514) 398-4789
Montreal, Canada                  fax: (514) 398-8919