On Fri, 26 Apr 1996 14:11:29 EDT  Nicole L Bouche
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Specifically, is there  an important,
> possibly critical distinction to be made between the intellectual
> structure of series/ subseries/etc. that exists "above" the physical
> unit(s) being described and which are assigned unique, unit-level
> identity (e.g. a unit number or title), which we're obscuring by simply
> tagging that physical unit as another form of <c> (numbered or not)?

I could not agree more with Nicole.  While I generally like
the form that EAD is taking as it is being developed, I
do think that using <c> to tag both the intellectual
structure as well as the physical units being described is
problematic.  I, too, would like to see something like the
<matlist> tag in which the physical items are described.

Steven Mandeville-Gamble
Project Archivist, Dept. of Special Collections
Stanford University Libraries
Phone: (415) 725-3478    Fax: (415) 723-8690
Email: [log in to unmask]