> I agree with Richard Gartner's comment about tables ...

I do too.  The more I think about it, the more I come to
the conclusion that creating tables ties us too much to a
paper-based model while possibly giving up the power of
being able to show the logical, hierarchical relationships
between containers and their contents. I would prefer to
tag folders/items/volumes as entities subordinate to
another in an unambiguous way, along the lines of the
example below.

<C1> Series
   <C2> Subseries
        <C3> Box 1
           <C4>Folder 1
           <C4>Folder 2
                .
                .
                .
           <C4> etc.
        <C3> Box 2
           <C4>Folder 1
           <C4>Folder 2
                .
                .
                .
           <C4> etc.

This way, regardless of how the information is displayed,
the hierarchical relationship remains unambiguous.

My $.02 worth.

Steven Mandeville-Gamble

Steven Mandeville-Gamble
Project Archivist, Dept. of Special Collections
Stanford University Libraries
Phone: (415) 725-3478    Fax: (415) 723-8690
Email: [log in to unmask]