Well, I would probably use the "level" attribute on the "c" element
to define what level of hierarchy I'm in (collection, file, fonds,
series, subseries, etc.).  As long as your editor has a way of
showing the attributes for a given tag this should work just as
well as the C01, C02, ... C0n method, and be much for flexible
in the long run.
MacKenzie Smith                                   [log in to unmask]
Harvard University Library                        %\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%