At the Spring MARAC meeting several of us were enthralled by the panel
EAD discussion.  At the close of the session we were told where we could
find the tag library for the ead and invited to look into it.  So, my
staff and I have been working our way through this document over the
summer and we have a couple of questions.

In the eadheader there is the author element.  The few instances we have
seen seem to have the creator of thte ead instance in this element - in
fact the tag library seems to imply the same.  Yet the creation element
also requires the name of the ead creator.  It seems that the author
element under the eadheader could just as logically contain the name of
the creator of the finding aid (which won't always be the same as the
person who creates the ead instance).  We've seen one such example.
Could someone comment on current practice?

My second question relates to the use of rows in the dsc element.  We
are using Panorama Pro to display our instances.  When we come to using
the <c01> elements, followed by drow and dentry, we can't get a
reasonable display on the screen; the columns are bunched up.  It is as
if the column width attributes are ignored.  When we experimented with
the table element the display was better.  Can any comment on how to
edit the style sheet so that the row elements will format correctly?

Thanks for any comments or advice from a group of novices!

Dale Patterson
Archivist/Records Administrator
General Commission on Archives and History    [log in to unmask]
United Methodist Church                       phone: (201) 408-3189
Madison, NJ 07940                             FAX:   (201) 408-3909