Hello:

First, regarding the other mail about EAD sites, the handle you want for identifying EADs is the EADID element at
the top of the file - if this isn't unique someone is doing something wrong.

Where did ARUP come from ? - it is the first time it has come up on these lists - it is mortifying suddenly to find
oneself URUP.  Is the unacceptable part the use of <C__> per se or just the given implementation?

As a user of the <C__> approach and deprecating <drow> (we don't structure our finding aids in tables anyway) my
only comment on the example given below is why not use  instead of the label attribute for <C03> and <C04>  the
attributes level="box" and level="file" (or if you wish to use folder use otherlevel="folder" - I find otherlevel of
especial use for "bundle" in estate records and "volume" where it is a bound  collection of several items.

> We would tag this as follows:
>
> <C01 level="series">
>
> <C02 level="subseries">
>
> <C03 label="Box No.">
>
> <C04 label="Folder No.>
> </C04>

Generally I have not used box or folder as a <C__> level, but concentrate on the items themselves thus:

<C02 level="subseries">
<C03 level="file"><did>
<unitloc>Box 1</unitloc>
<unitid>Folder 1</unitid> ....

you can use unitloc attributes to indicate what sort of container is described too.  The next <unitloc> is only used
when a new box is reached.
This may not fit in with your existing house style but it is a suggestion

Generally I have not given box locations with small collections (often they can be inferred from the document
numbering).

Anyone interested in examples of the <C0_> approach can view our finding aids (using Panorama only) which are
currently listed and described at

http://www.dur.ac.uk/Library/asc/navidocs/dulasc.sgml

(our WWW server was a bit  shaky yesterday, so apologies if it is temporarily unavailable)

Richard Higgins
Durham University Library