Peter - from my understanding of what A/E and Panorama do (including a
review of their documentation), "style" files are two distinct beasts in the
two programs. Panorama allows for the creation of a STYLE SHEET
which governs the parsed display of an SGML instance - acting on the
relationship between and placing of elements to create the final user view=
 of
a document. In Author/Editor, the STYLE FILE is simply a preferences
file which allows for on-screen modification of tags and texts to allow for
easier document creation This file does not intended to travel with an
instance (as is
the Panorama Style Sheet). They should not be interchanged.

Hope this clears up the STYLE dilemma.

Tim Young
Beinecke Library
Yale University