Hello,

Regarding the use of corpName vs geogName, we've
adopted the position of "how would the cataloger
catalog this" when we tag elements.

The best example, related in some way to the
is a parish, etc. a corpName or geogName question,
is how we treat plantations.  (A bit of background
here I work at a Virginia (USA) repository with
a lot of plantation family papers.)  We often
have guides which mention strings of place names
such as Monticello, Montpelier, Castle Hill,
Edgehill, and Keswick Hall.  However these places
are geographic entities but also are more than
that being in effect mini corporations/businesses.
Local cataloging practice has been to catalog these
plantations as 610's -- that the MARC equivalent
of corpName.  (The LC authority may disagree but
here LC practice has been inconsistent between
treating these entities as geographic entities
or as corporate entities.)  Thus we tag Monticello
et al. as corpName.  Of course this gets a bit
tricky as the uses of these estates change after
awhile.  For example some plantations were turned
into schools by the improvished descendents -- such
Norwood or Edgehill.  Again since these are schools
now, they remain as corpName, but for a different
reason.  Some plantations have been turned into
true corporations since they are now tourist sites;
i.e. Carter's Grove and Monticello.  But again they
remain corpName and may have a parent organization
which has a different name and so should be tagged
as well if in the guide.

As for churches et al. I've pretty much seen only
items such St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Charlottesville,
VA.  Again, I would suggest you use your local
cataloging practice.  Here I've generally been
marking up these items up as <corpName>St. Paul's
Episcopal Church(/corpName>, <geogName>Charlottesville,
VA</geogName>.  On the whole though I've generally
see churches mentioned on their own without the
geographic location.  This is of course reflects my
institution's holdings and guides.

I would like to learn more about people's uses of
the <subject> tag.  From what I know from marking up
our guides and from my cataloging background, I can't
see an easy way of using this tag when marking my
institution's finding aids since Library of Congress
subjects headings (controlled vocabulary) are often
not the same as the language used in the finding aids.
For example, a collection may contain many materials
regarding social life in Virginia.  You can understand
that from reading the guide and summarizing the
scope and content information in your mind, thus
devising the information 600:: Virginia|xSocial life
and customs|y19th century is more of an intellectual
interpretation than something that can be derived from
a finding aid.

Elizabeth Slomba
Special Collections
University of Virginia