        I appreciate the potential benefits of Berkeley's use of alternative
ways of displaying SGML-like text, but I'm not sure that Mr. Rinehart's
message conveys the full set of issues associated with mounting Dyna Text or
some of the other non HTTP based SGML and SGML like products.  I hope
someone will correct me if my understanding is wrong, but I believe that
Dyna Text requires that the user be able to emulate an X-Windows terminal
session.  That is not something that is built into Windows (3.11, NT or 95
to the best of my knowledge), OS2 or the Mac operating system.
Furthermore, there is additional setup at the server site that complicates
matters for institutions that would like to employ standards based HTTP
servers as their basic platforms.  I am not familiar with all of the
technical issues, but at Yale we looked into the issues associated with
using one of the non-HTTP based products and felt it created enormous
user-support issues as well as issues of delivering documents that were
coded in a proprietary rather than open-standard code.

George Miles
Yale Collection of Western Americana