Carolyn and EAD list,

For background see: MARC Discussion Paper 99: Metadata, Dublin Core
and USMARC: a review of current efforts
gopher://marvel.loc.gov:70/00/.listarch/usmarc/dp99.doc

(This was covered in a program at ALA, "From Catalog to
Gateway: URIs, Metadata and the Dublin Core." I know some EAD users
were there; maybe they can provide further comment.)

Also:
"Dublin Core/MARC/GILS Crosswalk"
http://www.loc.gov/marc/dccross.html

and other things on the Library of Congress MARC Standards Office
page:

http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/marc.html

> To the list and Greg,
>
> I'm not nearly as far along as Greg is, but my concerns are the same.
> How to create a finding aid once and use it in multiple systems?  In
> addition to EAD to MARC, I also wonder about GILS and the Dublin Core to
> MARC and EAD.  Mapping one element to a similar element in another
> system is almost always less than perfect.  Or seems so to me.  Is there
> an answer out there?  Is Mulder really dead?
>

> Carolyn Foster

Marion Matters
Minnesota Legislative Reference Library
645 State Office Building, St. Paul, MN 55155
Phone: 612/297-8891 Fax: 612/296-9731
Email: [log in to unmask]
Library's web site: http://www.leg.state.mn.us/lrl/lrl.htm