Patrick (and the EAD list) - I have experienced the "Can't resolve DTD"
error myself, but without
knowing what files you are trying to read, I can't offer any further help
except to say that - if you are trying to read from a remote site, it could
be a delivery error or an error within the particular instance - if you are
trying to read a local file (for testing), you need to have copies of the
complete
set of EAD.DTD files in your \softquad\panopub2\catalog directory
as well as having a declaration for the EAD.DTD in your catalog file.
Also - if you are relying on Panorama to locate the exact source
of the error, don't place any high stakes bets. I found that the closest
Panorama came to pinpointing the true location of a breakdown was usually
around two lines away from the actual source of trouble.

Tim Young
Beinecke Library
Yale University