I would agree with Bill's observation that the model
wants and is currently valid.

The more fundamental question that I want to continue to pursue is this-
is the <did> only identifying info as its name implies, is it something
more (an overview) in which case <scopecontent> might be imbedded within
it, or is it both id and overview?

Is it really necessary?  It does two things now for sure.  It enforces,
though weakly, the concept that certain information is always
required/desired for identification purposes.   Alternatively, this
could be done by making certain elements mandatory.   It also provides a
wrapper for processing that brings a certain set of data together in a
predicatable block.  The <did> data elements are not scattered all over
<dsc> and <c>.  Some view this as an asset; for others it's a liablity,
especially for retrospective conversion where existing text might not be
so ordered.

Michael