On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Fox, Michael wrote:

> It also provides a
> wrapper for processing that brings a certain set of data together in a
> predicatable block.  The <did> data elements are not scattered all over
> <dsc> and <c>.  Some view this as an asset; for others it's a liablity,
> especially for retrospective conversion where existing text might not be
> so ordered.

In the implementation being worked on here at Univ. of Michigan, we've
certainly found the <did> as a bundler for a predictable set of
descriptive elements to be an asset in on-the-fly conversion to HTML.  It
would be a shame to let retrospective practices drive the structure of
the DTD.  I think there does need to be a bundling element for
predictable descriptive information at all levels within the collection.
Whether or not <scopecontent> is really a descriptive identifier is
another question.

I would also question why the <dao> and <daogrp> are included in the
<did>.  Neither of these elements contains "fundamental descriptive
information needed to identify the unit" (from the tag library
description of the <did>).  The fact that digital representation in
image/multimedia format CAN be contained in the <did> and digital
representations in text format (say a TEI-encoded document) CANNOT (or so
it seems from the documentation) seems like a good argument to place these
tags after the </did>.

** ______Bill Landis_|_JSTOR Production [log in to unmask]
** "I go out walking I will - Head out walking I will -   |313 936.2363
** Go out walking through the middle of midnight -        |fax 647.6897
** With a burning inside - And there's nothing they can throw -
** Nothing they can throw me that I can't throw back -
** Or at least know where to hide"___|_Connie Kaldor_|_I Go Out Walking