Network Bulletin No. 97-47

Date:  August 29, 1997

Subject:  Book collection

Index term:  Survey on changing the book-number prefix for
print/braille books

Because print/braille books are handled quite differently from
braille books throughout the production process, NLS would
prefer to differentiate print/braille titles from standard
braille titles in our computer database.

Therefore, we are considering using the designation "PB" at
the beginning of the book number for print/braille books
rather than the presently used "BR."  For example, a
print/braille book would be "PB11500" rather than "BR11500."

Before making such a change, we are soliciting feedback on any
possible problems this might cause.  Please respond to the
following questions if applicable:

1.   Will your computer system be able to accommodate a
     different book-number prefix?  If the answer is "yes,"-
     that your system will work fine with PB book numbers,
     then no response is necessary.  Please RESPOND ONLY IF
     YOUR SYSTEM CANNOT HANDLE PB BOOK NUMBERS.

2.   Could your system handle an entirely new numbering
     sequence for PB books, or should the PB book numbers
     continue to be part of the BR book-numbering sequence?
     Please RESPOND ONLY IF YOUR SYSTEM CANNOT HANDLE A NEW,
     SEPARATE NUMBERING SEQUENCE FOR PB BOOKS.

Also, please forward any other comments you have regarding
this proposed change.

Direct all responses to:

John Bryant
Head, Production Control Section