Hi Susan,

We use the tabular markup almost exclusively in our
Online Archive of California Project (aka UC-EAD).
There are many, many different ways to use EAD tabular
markup in a container list. There is no one, "right"
way. You've seen the description of our way of applying
tabular markup in the retrospective conversion guidelines

(see: http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/amher/upguide.html#Appen )

It contains no examples of a "combined" container list
as you pointed out. The salient point to remember when
applying the American Heritage/UC-EAD tabular markup guide-
lines is that series, subseries, recordgrps, subgrps, etc.,
like entries appear in <drow><dentry>. For combined container
lists, simply follow the closing </did> with your scopecontent,
odd, etc. information. Here's an example:

<dsc type="combined">
<head>Container List</head>
<tspec> ... </tspec>
<c01 level="series">
<did>
</unittitle></did>
<scopecontent>
<arrangement><p>Arranged chronologically.</p></arrangement>
Incoming (and outgoing, as well as neither to nor from)
letters also appear in three general subject files in
carton 7: folder 20 concerns an embezzlement charge against
an old family friend, J. R. Moulthrop; Navy correspondence
is found in folders 24-27; and, folder 33 concerns a takeover
threat at Tiffany & Company. Correspondence with Bingham's
co-authors and publishers is also found among the textbook
materials in Series 12.</p></scopecontent>
<thead>
<row>
<entry spanname="c1-3">Box</entry>
<entry spanname="c4-16">Contents</entry>
<entry spanname="c17-20">Dates</entry>
</row>
</thead>
<c02>
<drow>
<dentry spanname="c1-3">
<unitloc loctype="container" containertype="box">1</unitloc>
</dentry>
<dentry spanname="c4-16">
<dentry spanname="c17-20">

We have certainly lived to tell about our experience using
tabular markup. It's pretty complicated to learn how to do
when you first start with it but once it's incorporated into
scripted and programmatic markup it takes no longer to encode
a container list than does non-tabular markup. If you're
doing it all by hand however, then you're looking at a pretty
labor-intensive process.

Please feel free to contact me concerning any questions
you might have about the American Heritage/UC-EAD flavor
of tabular markup. We've stumbled across quite a few tricks
that streamline the process considerably (such as omitting
</c> end tags during markup and putting them in programmatically
using an sgml normalizing tool like sgmlnorm when you're done).

Very best regards,

Alvin Pollock
Electronic Text Unit
UC Berkeley Library