On Tue, 11 Nov 1997 10:19:47 -0500 "Elizabeth H. Dow" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> As I crank up to start wrapping names with <persname> and <corpname> tags,
> I'm wondering if it's truly necessary to take the time to reverse the
> order of personal names that contain all the words the LCNAF entry
> requires: Dorothy Canfield Fisher vs. Fisher, Dorothy Canfield.

I've wondered this sort of thing too.  A computer needs extra tagging in
order to know whether the surname in the above example is "Canfield Fisher",
or just "Fisher", and to know how to re-arrange the elements of a name like
"Sir John Doe, jnr.", or "Walter de la Mare"; and how to alphabetise the
latter: hence one use of the "Normal" attribute.

Perhaps the ideal would be to have a container element such as <persname>,
in which one could bundle a number of <name> tags, each with a 'Type'
attribute, which could be set to 'Surname', 'Alias', 'Nickname',
'Pen-name', 'Maiden name', etc.  Such tagging would both allow greater
flexibility in the output, as well as enabling more sophisticated searching
on names.

Peter Kidd