From:   Martin Joachim[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Wednesday, November 26, 1997 8:51 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PCCLIST
Subject:        suggestion for routine references

Locating geographic names can be problematic if there are more than one
place with the same name in a state, country, etc.  For example, there are
established headings for Weimar (Hesse, Germany) and Weimar (Thuringia,
Germany).  It seems to me that it would be useful to create routine
references in this situation: e.g.,
        451   0  Weimar (Germany : Hesse)
        451   0  Weimar (Germany : Thuringia)
For systems that allow derived key searches for geographic names, these
would be useful references.  The famous Weimar is the one in Thuringia,
but is the catalog user going to know that?  What do you all think?
Should I propose to LC that this type of ref be routinely made?

       IIIIII
         II             Marty Joachim
     UU  II  UU         Principal Cataloger
     UU  II  UU         Indiana University Libraries
     UU  II  UU         Bloomington, IN 47405
     UU  II  UU         [log in to unmask]
      UUUIIUUU          (812) 855-4263
         II             FAX (812) 855-7933
       IIIIII