    We are one of the libraries who has been adding theater headings to
    name authority file. Since we have been doing a special project on 19th
    century English drama, occasions often occur when we need to trace
    theater names as 710s for locations of the theatrical performances.
    We are considering them in the same line as we would trace museum
    headings for the art exhibitions. Museums are Group 1 heading.
    We have been formulating theater headings primarily like subject
    headings, for instance, with geographic qualifiler even in
    non-conflict situation, not as corporate bodies following AACR2
    principles, but adding them into name authority file.

    In case when we need to use the theater headings which had been
    established in subject file as added entries, we have been instructed
    to request through SACO to move the theater headingss to name headings.
    LC did some already, and a few I remember are Old Vic Theatre (London,
    England) and Adelphi Theatre (London, England). In both cases, former
    records as subject headings were merged into now name headings for both
    theaters (n86120079 & n96111754).

    We will be greatly benefited if CPSO consider to move the theater building
    headings from Group 2 headings to Group 1 headings soon.  Meanwhile we will
    comply to submit theater headings through SACO if that is the concensus
    among this group.

                                            Hiroko Aikawa
                                            Cleveland Public Library