Happy Spring, Everyone!

Thanks to Wendy for sharing what's been happening in Washington State.

Wendy talks about the practical hurdles around students searching collections
like the WPA Life Histories.  I wonder if anyone else has been experimenting
with students searching collections, and can add to our picture of the hurdles
and potential solutions.

One idea of Wendy's is to have a cadre of student experts who are able to do
preliminary searching work for their peers.  This seems like a terrific
strategy, and I wonder how it would work.  I can imagine a more confident
student from each of the six research groups spending an hour or two finding
documents, or simply finding promising search terms for the others to use.  Any
other thoughts, Wendy?

Does anyone else who's had students search collections have any stories or ideas
to share?

Bill

(P.S. For those of you who haven't seen Wendy and Doug's unit itself -- I really
recommend it!  It's full of creative thinking about curriculum and classroom
process around primary and secondary materials. www.misd.wednet.edu/
~Wendy_Sauer/AmMem.html)