Perhaps this has already been covered...
but just as an example, we chose to include the
Processing Instruction in the document type
declaration subset of each of our instances
(i.e. at the top of every file).

Here is the complete wording of the declaration subset
we use - with the EXTREF declaration in place:

(A word of caution: as with coding, SGML parsers are unforgiving if
even a single piece of punctuation is out of place.)
------------------------------

<!DOCTYPE EAD PUBLIC "-//Society of American Archivists//DTD ead.dtd
(Encoded Archival Description (EAD))//EN" "ead.dtd"
[<!ENTITY brblmain SYSTEM "../otdf/brblmain.gif" NDATA gif>]>
<?STYLESPEC "Beinecke Library Style Sheet" "../otdf/beinecke.ssh">
<?NAVIGATOR "Beinecke Library Navigator" "../otdf/beinecke.nav">
<?ATTLINK extref ext.ptr URI>

Timothy Young
Archivist
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Yale University
New Haven, CT  06520
(203) 432-8131