Hi, Ralph,
   As usual, you bring up a really good point.  I have an opinion (not
official "advice", of course, but I hope my response is considered
before your question is answered by officials) on this issue.   My
opinion is that, since this guidance is intended specifically for the
books core standard, it should be up to the advisory groups related to
each core standard to decide on whether or not to adopt this guidance
for their material.  It seems to me that this should be a fairly swift
decision on each group's part, but it also seems to me that the
cataloging constituencies most familiar with the material should be the
ones to consider it, instead of making a wholesale decision on this
point.  Among the reasons it would be mistaken to make this guidance
universal would be the apparent conflict between those core formats
which have decided not to require a call number at all and this
solution, which requires at least "half" of a call number. There is
enough confusion about core out there without bringing on this
inconsistency.
   Thanks for asking.  Thanks for listening,  Jain Fletcher, UCLA

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998 00:32:08 -0500 Ralph Papakhian <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi,
> The first two paragraphs here refer only to the "books core record standard."
> But subsequent paragraphs appear to apply to catalog records for
> materials in any format. I just want to confirm that this statement is indeed
> general in application, regardless of format (i.e. that it applies to
> music, visual materials, computer files, etc.). Please advise.
> Thanks.
> --ralph papakhian

> Joan Schuitema said
> >
> > CLASS NUMBERS IN BIBCO RECORDS
                 {etc., etc.}

> --
> A. Ralph Papakhian, Indiana University Music Library
> Bloomington, IN 47405 812/855-2970 [log in to unmask]
> co-owner: [log in to unmask]

Jain Fletcher
Head, Monographic Cataloging Section
University Research Library - UCLA