Leigh,

The best source of information on free software is Robin Cover's homepage:

http://www.sil.org/sgml/publicSW.html

The best source of information on commercial software is Steve Pepper's
Whirlwind Guide to SGML & XML Tools and Vendors:
http://www.infotek.no/sgmltool/guide.htm

I hope this helps a little.

Daniel

At 04:50 PM 4/21/1998 +1000, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>Have been lurking on the list for some time now, but have also been quite
>silent of late.   However the University of Melbourne Archives is in the
>initial steps of submitting for a grant application together with the Noel
>Butlin Archives at the Australian National University, wherein we look WEB
>marking-up our respective lists of Business and Labour holdings.
>
>In this we are assessing the range of options available to us including the
>EAD.  It would help our conceptualisation at this stage if someone could
>provide a list of the sgml and xml authoring packages to date which are
>readilly adapted to the templates and other elements of the Ead.dtd.  I have
>some memory of seeing such a thing from time to time, but most mentions have
>been of this or that compatible software.
>
>If someone on the list can provide such a list it may help us come to grips
>with the plethora of editer software laying claim to the most brilliant on
>the block.  Any critical commentary on various softwares would also be
>appreciated.  I am presuming that many have the sought of syntax errors
>imputed to Panorama.pro of late, but that these can be got around, with
>patience and especially with a little programming assistance.
>
>Many thanks for any assistance that can be provided.
>
>Yours sincerely,
>

>Leigh Swancott
>CRA Archivist, University of Melbourne Archives
>Fax:  9  347 8627    E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
>*       Opinions my own as always               *

Daniel V. Pitti         Project Director
Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities
Alderman Library        University of Virginia  Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
Phone: 804 924-6594     Fax: 804 982-2363       Email: [log in to unmask]