The problem with stylesheet currently is that, while there have been
standards in the form of DSSSL, most (all) SGML software has used
application-specific stylesheets.  Some, like ADEPT, have a companion
publication piece that is designed to generate nicely printed output.
Softquad marketed a Author/Editor to Quark like to that purpose.  If you
are using SGML within WordPerfect, one uses WordPerfect's style
conventions to generate print output.  Similarly, Microsoft's SGML
Author for Word will produce a nice printed Word document from an SGML
file.

The XSL style language will hopefully rectify that, as Ricky Erway
pointed out in an earlier message today.  Ideally XSL will let one
produce a nicely formated print copy from the SGML/XML file using a
non-proprietary style language.   The XSL specification has not yet been
finalized.  But I do believe that there are already one or two freeware
products that will convert an XML file into an RTF document.

Michael

Michael Fox
Head of Processing
Minnesota Historical Society