Karen Rege wrote:

The Mandeville Department of Special Collections at UC, San Diego has
done this.  Rather than send you the 856 statements, let me refer you
our online catalog ROGER (roger.ucsd.edu).  Conducting a title search
for "UCSD MSS" will generate a list for cataloged manuscript collections
/ items.  You can then see how the 856 statements display in the Web
interface or, by clicking on the MARC display button, you can see the
MARC version of the record and how the 856 statements are actually
coded.

I hope this is of help.

BTW, we also link from entries in the finding aids database browse lists
to the corresponding catalog record. You can see how this looks by going
to the finding aids database (the link is present in every mss cat
record) instead of the actual finding aid.

Please let me know if I have been too cryptic.

Regards,

Brad W.

Bradley D. Westbrook
Manuscripts Librarian / University Archivist
Mandeville Special Collections Library 0175S
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, CA  92093

E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Phone:  619-534-6766
FAX:    619-534-5950

Greetings!  I am new to this list, so please forgive me if this topic
has been dealt with before.  Here at Winterthur, we are currently in the
process of converting our finding aids to SGML using EAD.  Our next step
is to link these finding aids to our OPAC records via the MARC 856
field.  Has anyone been successful in doing this, and if so, could you
send me the 856 string you used?  We're running VTLS's brand new Virtua
system with Netscape Navigator 3.06 and Panorama as a plug-in.  I'm
having