        From:  Prentiss Riddle [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
        Sent:  Thursday, May 28, 1998 6:32 PM
        To:  Multiple recipients of list EAD
        Subject:  Easiest way to get up to speed delivering EAD

        I'm new to the EAD list, so please forgive me if these questions
are
        naive or redundant, but I've hit the web and haven't found
answers.

        Background: my university's library is considering a pilot
project
        which would result in an EAD-based finding aid, and I'm trying
        figure out the easiest way to support making it available on the
web.
        (Key word here is *easiest*.)

        I've read about the various tools mentioned in Daniel Pitti's
January
        summary posted to the EAD list (see
        http://www.sil.org/sgml/eadSGML9801.html).

           -- Is there a cookbook for setting up any of the available
SGML
           tools (DynaText/DynaWeb, Open Text or Isite) to serve out EAD
as
           HTML?  Our one experience with SGML server software
(OpenText)
           suggests a steep learning curve.

           -- Are there any collaborative EAD projects which would
permit us to
           upload our own EAD finding aids and so not have to run an
           SGML-to-web server ourselves?

        I'm sure I'll have more questions but this is a start.  Thanks.

        -- Prentiss Riddle ("aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada")
        -- Webmaster, Rice University / http://is.rice.edu/~riddle
        -- Home office: 2002-A Guadalupe St. #285, Austin, TX 78705 /
512-323-0708