Greetings Fellows,
Congratulations to the new fellows.  I am excited to see your work.  Two weeks
ago I had the choice opportunity to introduce the collection to about 40
outstanding teachers visiting from Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and the
Ukraine at the University of Delaware.  I am part of a group of 27 US teachers
who will be traveling to Russia in October to stay with one of these teachers
and teach in his/her school for two weeks as part of a program sponsored by
the US Information Agency.  (Mickey Bogart from the 97 American Memory Fellows
class is also going).  I wish I could express adequately the excitement and
interest that the collection elicited from both the Russians and the other US
teachers.  Many of the Russian teachers have access to the internet at school
and are eager to use the collection.  I am hoping that I will be assigned to a
school district in Russia with internet access so that I can report back to
you all on how Russian students and teachers utilize the collection.   I hope
you all have a great beginning of the school year!
Laura Wakefield
97 Fellow