Adam, et al:
   When I did the VAL command, I received the system response:
Error 1 of 1: Line 4: Invalid relationship - when 042 5a is equal to 'pcc',
then ELvl must equal ' '

ELvl "E" means OCLC's loader program identified an error during the load.
My guess is that someone at OCLC has an error report from the 8/21 load and
just hasn't corrected it yet.  I would like to hear what's up here.

Related to this, OCLC has historically treated LC records as the record of
choice and the LC record always overlays what is in the OCLC database.  Now
that PCC works in tandem with LC to create high quality records, I think
this policy should be reviewed.  My staff have shown me LC  copycat records
which have overlayed BETTER PCC records.  My guess is that it would have
been better if this particular record did not overlay.   I have appended
the record below.  -John

LUC  an #39477127                                          Record 1 of 1
 NO HOLDINGS IN UMC - 5 OTHER HOLDINGS
  OCLC:  39477127            Rec stat:    n
  Entered:    19980730       Replaced:    19980821       Used:    19980821
 Type:  a     ELvl:  E     Srce:  c     Audn:        Ctrl:        Lang:  ger
  BLvl:  m     Form:        Conf:  0     Biog:        MRec:        Ctry:  gw
               Cont:  b     GPub:        Fict:  0     Indx:  0
  Desc:  a     Ills:  a     Fest:  0     DtSt:  s     Dates: 1997,     5
   1  010     98-177136 5
   2  040     CGU 5c DLC 5d DLC 5
   3  020     3423306432 5
   4  042     pcc 5
   5  050 04  PN56.5.W64 5b L44 1997 5
   6  082 00  305.9/066 52 21 5
   7  090     5b  5
   8  049     UMCP 5
   9  100 1   Lehnert, Gertrud. 5
  10  245 10  Wenn Frauen Mannerkleider tragen : 5b Geschlecht und Maskerade
in Literatur und Geschichte / 5c Gertrud Lehnert. 5
  11  250     Originalausg. 5
  12  260     Munchen : 5b Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag, 5c 1997. 5
  13  300     223 p. : 5b ill. ; 5c 19 cm. 5
  14  504     Includes bibliographical references (p. 211-221). 5
  15  650  0  Sex role in literature. 5
  16  650  0  Identity (Psychology) in literature. 5
  17  650  0  Transvestism. 5
  18  650  0  Transsexuals. 5
  19  650  0  Male impersonators. 5
  20  650  0  Androgyny (Psychology) in literature. 5

>We can't export OCLC #39477127 because the Elvl is set to value E.
>Apparently, from looking at this record in the LC database, it was
>originally a PCC record from the University of Chicago, which LC copy
>cataloged.  Can someone at OCLC explain what the error is that caused the
>Elvl to get changed to E?  I'm wondering if this is a unique case or
>whether there are going to more of these we find.
>
>**************************************
>* Adam L. Schiff                     *
>* Principal Cataloger                *
>* University of Washington Libraries *
>* Box 352900                         *
>* Seattle, WA 98195-2900             *
>* (206) 543-8409                     *
>* (206) 685-8782 fax                 *

John Schalow, Head of Cataloging, McKeldin Library
University of Maryland, College Park, MD., 20742
Email:[log in to unmask]
Phone: 301-405-9320  Fax: 301-314-9971