Alan,

What parser or software are you using? It is strange that it would tell you
there is a "syntax error" when the solution you describe has nothing to do
with SGML or XML syntax as such.

My guess is that your files are on a Unix platform. Unix is case-sensitive
with respect to file names: EAD.DTD and ead.dtd are two different file
names. If this is the case, you could avoid changing all of the
declarations by simply changing the filename to uppercase.

Daniel

At 12:11 PM 11/12/1998 GMT0BST, you wrote:
>Dear all
>
>At Warwick we have begun switching to version 1.0 of EAD. Today I
>placed some of the version 1.0 files on server but when I came to
>check them an error message appeared telling me that there is a
>'syntax error in dtd'. After a bit of tweaking I tried changing the
>declaration from "EAD.DTD" to "ead.dtd". The files liked that and
>have since worked. What I would like to check before changing all the
>sgml files we have here (which aren't too many but I can still think
>of better things to do with my time) is that I have found the right
>solution to the original error.
>
>My apologies if this has already been discussed. I do remember
>something about upper/lower case differences but I recall that
>concerned XML. Thanks for your time,
>
>Alan.
>
>Alan Crookham
>Assistant Archivist
>Modern Records Centre
>University of Warwick
>Coventry
>UK - CV4 7AL
>Tel. 01203 524493
>e-mail :  [log in to unmask]

Daniel V. Pitti         Project Director
Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities
Alderman Library        University of Virginia  Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
Phone: 804 924-6594     Fax: 804 982-2363       Email: [log in to unmask]