see answers below
Michael Fox
Head of Processing
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd West
St. Paul MN 55102-1906
phone: 651-296-1014
fax:  651-296-9961
**NOTE NEW AREA CODE EFFECTIVE JULY 12, 1998**

> ----------

Sure.  xml is just a form of sgml after all.   There are a few
differences that need to be addressed.  These are in the text for the
new application guidelines which I don't have here at work but which I
will post to the list tomorrow.

> 2. In examining the SGML tag set for EAD there are hundreds of
> elements to
> choose from. How do I know what would be best to use for our project?

You need the EAD Tag Library, available from the Society of American
Archivists.   See also the Summer and Fall 1997 issues of the American
Archivist.
> 3. Should I go ahead and create my own DTD based on the tags we will
> be
> using from the EAD DTD?

Well of course one can always create one's own DTD but then you lose any
opportunity for interchange with others.  Guess it depends on what you
want to do with the data.  thoough in any event, why would you want to
create a new DTD that is a subset of EAD instead of just using a subset
of EAD directly?