Here a Beinecke, we've started to switch to Multidoc Pro
as our default SGML browser. One of the main reasons
(I would say the deciding reason) was its ability to format
documents for a printer. Beinecke had predicated its implementation
of EAD on the basis of being able to have one core document for
indexing, display, and printing. With Multidoc pro, we are at last
able to satisfy this requirement.

There are a few glitches evident in MDPro, most notably:
TEI-child navigation is faulty;
Search navigation buttons are not always available;
External references MUST be declared as external entities -
you cannot do the "ext.ptr" shorthand;
There is no freeware version.

But here are some more "pros":
Can open multiple instances (separate windows);
Full range of search options;
Can use existing auxiliary files from other SGML browsers;
Can attach multiple navigators;
Hypertext links within the same table work

We are using the plug-in for browsing and the full version
for editing auxiliary files.

Timothy Young
Archivist
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Yale University
New Haven, CT  06520
(203) 432-8131