At 11:07 AM 12/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 06:00 PM 12/17/1998 -0500, you wrote:
> But if students' lack of
>>interest or their collective judgment that such-and-such is boring and
>>unimportant -- if these things guide us past certain subjects or deter us
>>from discussing them in class, then we might just as well skip over
>>Reconstruction, too, and that milquetoast-y fellow Woodrow Wilson, and lord
>>knows what else.  For what it's worth.
>
>Let's hear it for Arnold!  The impeachment question is not a simple issue
>or something that we just have "to get through."  When we do finally
>resolve this difficult question, we need to understand what we have done
>and why.  I'd like to be a fly on the wall in your class, Arnold!

Yeh, the only reason I don't teach anthing is that it didn't make a
difference such as the type of hat Lincoln took to the show that night.

I *never* let the kids decide what's important because, by definitions, the
kids are ignorant!  That's why they are in school.  If they knew enough to
make a decision about importance, then I wouldn't be teaching them.

My job is to not only teach the material but present it in such a way that
*they* think its important and interesting.

That's the challenge and the fun.

Ron Stoloff

If the gods had intended man to fly they wouldn't have given us railroads.