>>         A grant reviewer has spurred me to think about mark-up levels. I
>> don't recall a specific discussion of this topic on the list, though I
>> suppose we've talked around it in a number of topics.
>>
>>         Catalogers using MARC have a fairly clear understanding of what
>> levels I, II, and III cataloging require. Each level assumes a certain
>> degree of complexity and sophistication that has been defined.
>>
>>         I've heard Michael Sperberg-McQueen and David Chesnutt talk about
>> Levels I, II, and III of TEI/MEP mark-up in connection with Chesnutt's
>> Model Editions Partnership. Again, each level assumes a degree of
>> complexity and sophistication that they have defined.

This does not answer the question but as a related aside, the "TEI in
Libraries" taskforce is going through exactly this process of defining
levels of tagging right now.  Results in the new year.

Best,

David Seaman, Director           804-924-3230 (phone)
Electronic Text Center           804-924-1431 (fax)
Alderman Library                 email: [log in to unmask]
University of Virginia           http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903