At 11:41 PM 01/29/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Fellas:
>
>I bring to your attention the most recent column by Jamie McKenzie from
his online
>magazine From
>Now On.  The url is http://fromnowon.org .  I've written about McKenzie
before, and
>I've used his
>columns and advice in my workshops on how to best use the internet in
classes.  He
>is a former
>teacher and administrator in public schools (New Jersey) who is now in
Bellingham,
>Washington, as
>a consultant and writer.  A smart guy who knows the how-to's, the
what-works, and
>the why-to's,
>and writes clearly with good common sense.
>
>This month's column is about wasted hardware and internet-filtering software.
>Regarding the
>hardware, McKenzie says that the wiring of schools is a scandal just
waiting to
>happen, because
>many of the many new computers and networks and T1 lines are subject to the
>"screen-saver
>syndrome," that is, they're just sitting there gathering dust.  That's
because the
>teachers aren't using
>them -- mainly due to lack of training.  His point is more finely drawn
than this,
>so go read the
>article.  I think you'll agree with him.  I do.
>
>His second point is a tougher issue for me.  He discusses censorship and
>site-filtering software.  In
>the Worcester schools where I teach we have CyberPatrol installed on the
network,
>and it does
>indeed block many sites, often at random times -- usually just when you
need them
>most, of course,
>or so it seems.  I've talked to the people downtown many times, and I
still don't
>understand how this
>thing works, whether it's by keyword, or administrator input, or whatever.
 But
> [...]
>classes; I did it in the
>computer lab, creating a nice lesson plan using three good sites on the
subject,
>including one from
>PBS.  A week later I brought the class in to run the lesson plan, and
boom! two of
>the three sites I
>had designated were blocked by Mr. CyberPatrol.  I was not too happy, and
brought
>the class out
>of the computer room back to the classroom.
>
>But that's the exception, fortunately, and not the rule.  Usually the
software just
>does its job nicely,
>blocking playboy.com and all else of that variety.  Normally it's the
teacher's
>friend.  To call this
>software a form of censorship, as McKenzie does in the current column,
seems to me
>like
>exaggerating.  I'd be interested to hear some reactions from other
teachers, both
>to the article and
>also regarding the situation on your own school: do you have blocking
software?  Is
>it overzealous?
>Have you had problems with it?  Could you/would you rather not have it?
>
>Here's my opinion (you knew this would be coming): the teacher has to be in
>control.  I know: I've
>been moving recently in the direction of  relinquishing control in the
computer
>room, but this is a different story. The teacher has to be firm about not
allowing
>the students to go where they shouldn't be going.
>
>1.  Have a good Acceptable Use Policy.  Have each student and guardian of
student
>sign a copy,
>keep it on file, then enforce penalties promptly when the AUP is violated.
>
>2. Students should use the same computer each time he/she is in the
computer room.
>Know who
>sits where and when.  That way if you miss something that a student does, and
>discover some
>mischief (settings changed, files deleted, etc.) after they're gone, you
can still
>enforce your rules.
>
>3.  Use your History file.  This is also a teacher's friend.  And be sure to
>include in your AUP that
>students are not allowed to clear the History file.
>
>4.  Have your computer room set up so you can see all the monitors in a
second or
>two -- all the
>computers around the periphery of the room, against the walls.  There is
no better
>configuration.  If
>they're set up otherwise, move 'em.
>
>These rules work for me, as I simultaneously obey the bedrock KISS (Keep
It Simple,
>Stupid) rule.
>Let me know what works for you.  Teachers must share their best practices,
in this
>as in other
>things.  I've learned so much from my colleagues, often little things that
I would
>never have thought of
>on my own.  So let's hear it.
>
>Arnold,

At Edison/Fareira HS we've been using SurfWatch and generally its been
working well.  There were some problems at the beginning when it wouldn't
let the kids go into 'breast cancer' but that has been cleared up as the
database has become more sophisticated.

We can control it to the extent that we can block chat rooms if we wish..

Ron Stoloff

If the gods had intended man to fly they wouldn't have given us railroads.