Stephen is entirely correct.   <xsl:eval> is unique to Microsoft, though
Microsoft has proposed it as an addition to the XSL standard which is still
in draft.

However, I don't think that the solution proposed below will work in the
situation we are dealing with- namely, we want to assign a unique,
consecutive number (1,2,3, etc.) to each <c01> element but not in the
context of an HTML list.

The alternative for us, working within the XSL standard in its current
draft, probably would be to use the counter feature.

Michael

Michael Fox
Head of Processing
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd West
St. Paul MN 55102-1906
phone: 651-296-1014
fax:  651-296-9961
**NOTE NEW AREA CODE EFFECTIVE JULY 12, 1998**