ACE Friends:
Here is an opportunity for a grant or award for non-profit
organization in your community.  Please share as appropriate.
Tom Tate

NONPROFITS, POLICY, AND TECHNOLOGY GRANTS & AWARDS

1999 NPT Pilot Project Grants: Through these grants, we
will identify and assist nonprofit efforts that employ
information technology tools and strategies to develop
or bolster their public policy activities. Up to
$65,000 will be distributed this year, with individual
grants ranging from $5,000 to $25,000. The full 1999
Grant Guidelines and 1998 recipients list can be obtained
by sending a blank e-mail message to

1999 NPT Innovation Awards: We have begun its second round
of recognizing organizational technology strategies
used by nonprofit organizations in public policy activities
that demonstrate effectiveness, innovation, and
lessons learned. Monetary awards range from $1,000 to
$3,000. Guidelines and the 1998 list of winners by sending
a blank e-mail message to <[log in to unmask]>.

We recently released two reports that may be of
interest to you.  The first, "Speaking Up in the
Internet Age: Use and Value of Constituent
E-mail and Congressional Web Sites," discusses the
value of e-mail sent to Congress and the effectiveness
of congressional websites for disseminating substantive
policy information.  The second, "Democracy At
Work: Nonprofit Use of Internet Technology for Public
Policy Purposes," describes the state of nonprofit
technology use for public policy work and civic engagement.
Both are available for free download from our
website at <http://www.ombwatch.org/ombw/npt/>.

We would welcome your linking to our website to assist
any organizations interested in nonprofit uses of technology
in public policy activities. If you have any questions about
the NPT Project, please let me know.

Thank you for the opportunity to introduce our efforts
to you.

Best wishes,
--
Ryan Turner, Coordinator
Nonprofits' Policy & Technology (NPT) Project

with the message body: subscribe nptalk Your Name
Tom Tate
Economics and Community Systems
Room 3901 South Bldg.,U.S.D.A
Washington, DC 20250-0900