Boy, I sure do want to understand what the heck you all are talking about,
because I can see that with XML, the TEI, the use of stylesheets and what
seem to be incredibly sophisticated and flexible linking capabilities, we
can provide, right on the Internet, access to special collections that we
couldn't dream of offering only a few years ago.  Not only unparalleled
access but an approach to the preservation of electronic documents that
seems to make a lot of sense.  I've tried, but it seems I just don't have
time to teach myself all the intricacies of XML, SGML, the EAD, the TEI,
XSL, Java, conversions from this to that, writing Perl scripts, on and on.
What I need is some basic training, at least as a way to get started.
Something along the lines of the fabulous digital libraries Institutes that
Roy Tennant has offered at U.C. Berkeley for the past few years.

Do you have any recommendations on good workshops, training sessions,
courses, etc.?  I did attend what was described in a brochure as an
Introduction to XML that was given by Steve DeRose at an XML conference in
Seattle a year or two ago.  But it was so jam packed with technical jargon
that never was explained, that for me, a non-programmer, it was useless.  If
any of you teach or know of introductory workshops or courses that really
are basic and non-technical, I'll be very grateful to hear about them.
Thanks so much.

Marsha Maguire
Archives and Access Librarian
Experience Music Project