Mike:

Thanks for the link!

Gecko, which will ship as the layout engine in Netscape 5, does not
support XSL transformations. Netscape/Mozilla have no intention of
releasing a browser that may utilise XSL *until* it is a full
specification, rather than a working draft, of the W3C.

http://www.mozilla.org/newlayout/faq.html#cssnotxsl

Until XSl is standardized you will need to apply CSS stylesheets to the
XML original to get something that renders prettily through Gecko.

Simply:
IE5 allows XML+XSL -->browser *and* XML+CSS -->browser
Nsc5 will allow XML+CSS -->browser

Since XSL allows the source XML file to be modified before it is
displayed, it provides greater flexibility in subsequent display. (XSL
may *lossely* be considered a transformation langauge). You cannot
modify the source XML by using CSS-- you may only specify how each
element is to be displayed.

I guess that bascially we are all waiting for (1) the XSL standard, and
(2) standard-XSL compliant browsers (??)

Those wishing to experiment are better off using IE5, I think.

reagrds,

Stephen

--
Stephen Yearl, Project Archivist